06 May Going Camping
This is dedicated to all those great moms taking their girls on the girl scout camping trip this weekend.
Choose only the most important toiletries you will need. Remember, whatever you pack in, you have to pack out.
- Dr. Bronner’s soap Drugstores and health food stores sell Dr Bronner soap. It can be used as soap, shampoo, detergent, and even toothpaste. These soaps are environmentally safe and will not pollute streams if you bathe with them.
- Leave-in conditioner Its great because it doesn’t have to be rinsed out.
- Tea tree oil A natural antiseptic that will provide relief for toothaches, canker sores, and cold sores. It may also be used to dry pimples.
- OB Applicator-free tampons They are compact to carry and create little waste since there is no elaborate packaging or applicator. Bring zip lock plastic bags and a re-sealable plastic container. Place used tampons in the zip-lock bag and then place the bag in the air-tight container. This will keep your refuse away from clothes until you reach civilization.
- Pre-moistened fragrance-free baby wipes They are better than toilet paper and can be easily discarded into the plastic container.
First Aid for blisters and scrapes
- Waterproof band-aids
- A waterproof jacket with hood
- Extra socks in case feet get wet
- Sweatpants and sweatshirt to sleep in or for layering if its cold
For moms chaperoning
Get your hair blown out the day before so you don’t have to bother with it. I know it sounds ridiculous, but you don’t want to carry shampoo, conditioner, brushes, and a blowdryer. Its $30 at Jean Louis David. Totally worth it!
Bring your love and sense of adventure
I know sleeping in a tent is not much fun for grown-ups but don’t let her feel it is a burden. Enjoy the experience with her. Be enthusiastic and excited for the adventure. It will be a great memory she will never forget!
Please grab my RSS feed at: /?feed=rss